Blog Archive


Self Certification

You do not require a doctor’s sickness certificate for any illness lasting seven days or less. Your employer may however require you to complete a self-certification form (SC2) which is available from your employer or on the HMRC website.

Evidence that you are sick

If you are sick for more than seven days, your employer can ask you to give them some form of medical evidence to support payment of SSP (statutory sick pay).

It is up to your employer to decide whether you are incapable of work. A medical certificate, now called a ‘Statement of Fitness for Work’ (see below) from your doctor is strong evidence that you are sick and would normally be accepted, unless there is evidence to prove otherwise.

You could also provide evidence from someone who is not a medical practitioner, e.g. a dentist. Your employer will decide whether or not this evidence is acceptable. If your employer has any doubts, they may still ask for a medical certificate from your GP.

Statement of Fitness for Work – ’Fit Note’

The ‘fit note’ was introduced on 6 April 2010. With your employer’s support, the note will help you return to work sooner by providing more information about the effects of your illness or injury.

For more information see the DirectGov website (where this information was sourced).



Blood taking is an important part of our diagnostic procedure here at Kiltearn. We have a phlebotomist who works here at the surgery to provide this service for our registered patients. If you are taking certain medications, you may be asked to have regular blood tests. Many of these can be done at the surgery, but for warfarin, you may need to attend the clinic at Church View Primary Care Centre or Leighton Hospital. Phlebotomy is available Monday-Friday from 8:30 a.m. We save the early appointments for those who are fasting.


Non-NHS Services

Some services provided are not covered under our contract with the NHS and therefore attract charges. Examples include the following:

  • Medicals for driving requirements (HGV, PSV etc.)
  • Insurance forms
  • Prescriptions for taking medication abroad
  • Vaccination certificates

The fees charged are based on the British Medical Association (BMA) suggested scales and our reception staff will be happy to advise you about them along with appointment availability.

Please note: Passport forms, fit to fly letters, school sickness letters, fit for exams, fit for jury service, fit for activities ie. Scuba diving, parachuting are no longer provided by the doctor.


Minor Surgery

We have GP’s who are trained to perform a variety of minor surgical procedures. We operate a waiting list system and you will be invited in with a specific appointment. You can access this service by referral from your GP.  Please note this is not a minor injuries service, we do not suture wounds acquired from an injury.



We work very closely with the Weaver Team of midwives from Leighton Hospital to provide a shared care plan of antenatal care. The Community Midwives hold clinics in the surgery each week. They will monitor your pregnancy and the health of you and your baby. They can provide advice on all aspects of pregnancy, childbirth and afterwards. For more information, please ask for a leaflet in reception.


Travel Clinic

If you are planning a trip abroad and wish to know which vaccines are currently required or recommended for the place you are visiting, please make an appointment in one of our Travel Clinics with one of our Nursing Sisters.

Travel Risk Assessment Form


Think Pharmacy – Minor Ailments Scheme

Pharmacists play a key role in providing quality healthcare to patients.  Working in the community, pharmacists use their clinical expertise together with their practical knowledge to ensure the safe supply and use of medicines by patients and members of the public.

Many pharmacies in the local area offer the ‘Think Pharmacy’ service. This service is an alternative to visiting your GP, making it easier for you and your family to get healthcare and advice on minor ailments at a time that suits you.

Your local pharmacy can offer advice and if necessary, prescribe medication to treat the following ailments under the Minor Ailments service:

  • Conjunctivitis
  • Cystitis
  • Impetigo
  • Oral thrush in babies
  • Scabies
  • Threadworm
  • Vaginal thrush

Pharmacists can also offer advice on common problems such as coughs, colds, aches and pains as well as healthy eating and stopping smoking.

You can talk to your pharmacist in confidence, even about the most personal symptoms and you don’t need to make an appointment; most pharmacies now have a private consultation area where patients can discuss issues with pharmacy staff without being overheard by other members of the public.

Consultations are always free and confidential, regardless of whether the pharmacist gives you any medication.

Find your nearest pharmacy


Test Results

Test results are usually available in the afternoon. Please call us after 10.00am on 01270 610200. Some results may take 7 or more days to come back. Results for adults can only be given to that adult, not spouses, children or parents.